Gallery | Institutions

Battle Creek Sanitarium. View from southwest
Battle Creek Sanitarium. View from the sanitarium looking over the old church and review office
Battle Creek Sanitarium. The College from sanitarium
Battle Creek Sanitarium. Pear view
Battle Creek Sanitarium. Frontview
Battle Creek Sanitarium. South entrance
Battle Creek Sanitarium. Dining room
Battle Creek Sanitorium. Dining room
Battle Creek Sanitorium
Battle Creek Sanitorium/Sanitarium as it looked in 1870
Battle Creek Sanitorium. Western Health Reform Institute.
Looking at the "Towers" addition of the Battle Creek Sanitorium around 1930; Proceeds from card sale go to 1987 Federal Center/Salvation Army Adopt-A-Family program.
Battle Creek Health Center. Guests gather in the beautiful lobby for tea every afternoon.
Battle Creek Sanitorium. Western Health Reform Institute. Est. 1866. Photo taken 1868. The opening of the Western Health Reform Institute on September 5, 1866, marked a new era in SDA history. This was to be not only the forerunner of Battle Creek Sanitarium but of a whole system of healthcare facukutue operated around the world. Dr. H. S. Lay was the first head physician. He was soon joined by the denomination«s first female physician, Dr. Phoebe Lamson. Ellen White urged that the new institution ever keep in view its purpose to work from "a high religious standpoint," and not to unduly pattern itself after Dr. Jackson«s institution at Dansville. In 1875 Dr. John Harvey Kellog joined the staff and was appointed medical superintendent the next year at the age of 24. By 1877 a second building was erected and the institution was renamed the Medical and Surgical Sanitarium, later commonly called the Battle Creek Sanitarium.
Battle Creek Sanitarium. The Medical and Surgical Sanitarium (Battle Creek "San") was dedicated in April 1878. The four-story building was 136 feet (41m) in length. During the next 20 years, continued growth in patronage led to major expansion: In 1884 a five story addition was built containing a gymnasium and dining facilities; in 1887 a separate five story hospital structure was erected; in 1890 another five-story extension was added to the main building and the original structure was raised one story; in 1894 a five story brick dormitory was erected to accommodate 150 or more nurses; in in 1895 further additions were made including a chapel seating about 400. By the turn of the century the Sanitarium was world-famous and employed more than 900 workers. Ellen White gave numerous warnings that the institution and its leaders were never to lose sight of the Sanitarium«s divinely-appointed mission that was to distinguished it from secular institutions. She also warned against concentrating so much investment in one place, as well as placing in only a few hands the power and control over the various medical institutions serving the church.
Battle Creek Sanitarium
Colorado Sanatorium - Medical Superintendent Office
Colorado Sanatorium, Throat + Lung Dept., No. 1,
Colorado Sanatorium, Dining Room
Colorado Sanatorium, Throat + Liver Dept., No. 2,
The Colorado Sanatorium looking east
Colorado Sanatorium, Parlor
Colorado Sanatorium, front view
Calvary Baptist Church, Reynoth St.
Album RSS RSS Feed | Archive View | Powered by zenPHOTO