Gallery | Institutions | Battle Creek Sanitorium. Western Health Reform Institute. Est. 1866. Photo taken 1868. <|>The opening of the Western Health Reform Institute on September 5, 1866, marked a new era in SDA history. This was to be not only the forerunner of Battle Creek Sanitarium but of a whole system of healthcare facukutue operated around the world. Dr. H. S. Lay was the first head physician. He was soon joined by the denomination«s first female physician, Dr. Phoebe Lamson. Ellen White urged that the new institution ever keep in view its purpose to work from "a high religious standpoint," and not to unduly pattern itself after Dr. Jackson«s institution at Dansville. In 1875 Dr. John Harvey Kellog joined the staff and was appointed medical superintendent the next year at the age of 24. By 1877 a second building was erected and the institution was renamed the Medical and Surgical Sanitarium, later commonly called the Battle Creek Sanitarium.<|>

Battle Creek Sanitorium. Western Health Reform Institute. Est. 1866. Photo taken 1868. <|>The opening of the Western Health Reform Institute on September 5, 1866, marked a new era in SDA history. This was to be not only the forerunner of Battle Creek Sanitarium but of a whole system of healthcare facukutue operated around the world. Dr. H. S. Lay was the first head physician. He was soon joined by the denomination«s first female physician, Dr. Phoebe Lamson. Ellen White urged that the new institution ever keep in view its purpose to work from "a high religious standpoint," and not to unduly pattern itself after Dr. Jackson«s institution at Dansville. In 1875 Dr. John Harvey Kellog joined the staff and was appointed medical superintendent the next year at the age of 24. By 1877 a second building was erected and the institution was renamed the Medical and Surgical Sanitarium, later commonly called the Battle Creek Sanitarium.<|>
Download Original (1436x828)

RSS RSS Feed | Archive View | Powered by zenPHOTO